With so many blogs being created every day, it’s a mystery to many bloggers to make their blogs stand out.
It’s simple. People want to read good content, and with good content comes ad revenue.
Well, maybe it’s not that easy. We’ve finally unleashed the secrets of successful blog marketing.
Do note that these are not guaranteed to increase your click-through ratios, and they will not bring good karma to you or your ads.. If only..
Nonetheless, these tips should benefit your blog and make it more user-friendly, easily accessible, and content-enabled.
25 Free Tips for Marketing your Blog
There are many types of blogs or purposes for blogs, and a certain number of tactics apply to just about all of them, so here is a -shortlist of tips for marketing and optimizing a blog:
- Decide on a stand-alone domain name www.myblog.com or directory of existing site www.mysite.com/blog. A subdomain is also an option blog.mysite.com. Avoid hosted services that do not allow you to use your domain name!
- Obtain and install customizable blog software – WordPress and Moveable Type are my favorites.
- Customize blog look and feel templates – aka design.
- Research keywords and develop a glossary – Keyword Discovery, WordTracker, SitePoint, SEOBook Keyword Research.
- Optimize the blog:
- Template optimization – RSS subscription options, social bookmark links, HTML code, Unique title tags, URLs, Sitemap
- Add helper plugins specific to WordPress or MT
- Create keyword-rich categories (reference your keyword glossary)
- Enable automatic trackback and ping functionality.
- Create a Feedburner Pro account and enable feed tracking.
- Setup Google account for Sitemap, validate, and prep for future submission.
- Identify authoritative blogs, websites, and hubs for outbound resource links and blogroll.
- Format archived posts, related posts.
- Enable statistics for tracking – Performancing, Google Analytics, ClickTracks.
- Submit RSS feed and Blog URL to prominent RSS and Blog directories/search engines.
- Engage in an ongoing link-building campaign.
- If podcast or video content is available, submit to Podcast and Vlog directories.
- Submit blog URL to paid directories with categories for blogs – Yahoo, BOTW, bCentral, WOW, JoeAnt.
- Optimize and distribute a press release announcing the blog.
- Request feedback or reviews of your blog in relevant forums, discussion threads. If you have a resourceful post that will help others, point to it.
- Research and comment on relevant industry-related blogs and blogs with essential centers of influence.
- Post regularly. Suppose it’s a news-oriented blog, 3-5 times per day. If it’s an authoritative blog, 3-5 times per week, each post must be unique and highly valued.
- Monitor inbound links, traffic, comments, and mentions of your blog – Google Alerts, Technorati, Blogpulse, Yahoo News, Ask Blogs, and Feeds.
- Always respond to comments on your blog, and when you detect a mention of your blog on another blog, thank that blogger in the comments of the post.
- Make contact with related bloggers on AND offline if possible.
- When making blog posts, always cite the source with a link and don’t be afraid to mention famous bloggers by name. Use keywords in the blog post title, in the post’s body, and anchor text when you link to previous posts you’ve made.
- Use social networking services, forums, and discussion threads to connect with other bloggers. If they like your stuff, they will link to you.
- Remember when websites were a new concept and the sage advice to print your web address everywhere you print your phone number? The same advice applies to your blog.